If you are an experienced web application developer looking for a challenge and the opportunity to do something genuinely impactful in your career, we want to talk to you.
We are looking for a full-time, fully-remote senior developer to lead excellent technical team.
This is a hands-on, technical leadership role. Working directly with the CTO, we will look to your experience with Symfony PHP to lead the evolution of our code and architecture. As a leader you will use your experience to ensure our technical team is constantly improving the quality of its output and processes. We will look to you to provide mentoring where required; code reviews and collaboration on a regular basis;
and be ultimately responsible for the quality and reliability of the applications we produce.
The current period of change is perfect for a technology nerd that loves jumping in at the deep end. To really love this job you will also need to be enthusiastic about the potential of our business domains: Languages and EdTech. We are developing products that add value to the lives of real people, all of our technology decisions must be made with the end user in mind. Within that scope we have large amounts of leeway to choose technical options that will motivate you and the rest of our team.
Your role will involve largely greenfields code, focussed on the re-architecture and migration of our legacy system as required to our Api oriented, DDD, Onion +Hexagonal architecture. You will be working on legacy code only to the extent you need
to understand it to redesign it. You will be adding your skills to our existing technical team, which is small but exceptional.
About the company
The product is an intelligent language learning platform, designed to help post-beginnerv learners reach fluency in the most efficient way possible. We occupy a unique place in
the language EdTech space and provide a completely personalised learning experience for every student. This product has been nominated for Best AI product in education 3 years in a row (CogX London) and the founders are award-winning entrepreneurs.
The product exists to foster genuine understanding and deep relationships between people who speak different languages. We use smart technology to reduce, and where possible remove, the barriers to gaining fluency. We want you and your ideas to make our system even better and get more people talking.
The company is established and self-sustaining. They are growing and will be seeking a significant investment round to help accelerate their growth. They are expanding into new
languages and have countless ideas and features to implement; this is not just a bugfix role, it requires all hands (and brains) on deck. They are hiring now for the long term and offer many options for technology and career progression. They need developers with strong opinions on code quality, performance, and working effectively in a distributed team environment.
● Lead our small but excellent distributed technical team, to ensure constant improvement to code quality and practices
● Work autonomously to build and ship clean, performant, scalable, secure, quality code that brings joy to our customers.
● Work with the Product, Growth, Quality Assurance and Ops teams to discuss software projects and ensure that we deliver the best possible customer experience.
● Work with data scientists and analysts to improve software
● Lead the design and implementation of technical architecture improvements. Advise on new technologies and processes
● Be available as necessary to troubleshoot urgent issues, but enjoy a very flexible work schedule.
● Assign tasks to the team including coding, testing, debugging, and analytics.
● Adhere to our established and evolving workflow processes, engaging with the team to make continual improvements.
● Be approachable and honest; be flexible and step up to the challenges presented to you.
● Write regression tests to ensure stability of our releases
● Write release notes.
● Maintain standards and best practices documentation
● 5+ years of proven software development experience in PHP.
● Extensive, current experience of Symfony PHP skills, with knowledge of other frameworks such as CakePHP a strong plus.
● Understanding of DDD; Onion + Hexagonal Architecture; CQRS and Event Driven Architecture.
● Strong knowledge of relational databases (we work with mainly Mysql/Percona).
● Experience building scalable RESTful web services.
● Experience working with Agile development processes.
● Experience developing mobile applications (JS/Native) a plus
● Ability (and desire!) to write well scoped acceptance, unit and integration tests.
● Good knowledge of git and continuous integration. Experience collaborating with a team of developers.
● Demonstrable evidence of your background and skills e.g. bachelor's degree in computer science or online profile (GitHub or other)
● Excellent interpersonal skills - comfortable communicating with technical and non technical team members. Distributed working requires proactive communications.
● Great attention to detail
● Organizational skills
● Solid spoken English. We have a multinational and multilingual team. English fluency is not required, but we can promise you’ll get better at it
Apply because you want to
● Work remotely as a fully engaged team member. (We’ve been remote since long before COVID, and people love logging into work every morning).
● Work with a diverse, international team on a challenge that will positively impact the world.
● Work with a bunch of nerds who really enjoy the technology they work with.
● Work on legacy and greenfield challenges, expand your technical experience and seriously grow as a developer.
● This business has product-market fit and we’re already on a strong growth trajectory with great unit economics. You are joining a company early in a major expansion phase, your opportunities grow alongside it.